VA Loan


Who’s Eligible for a VA-Backed Loan? 

Active duty personnel
Reservists/National Guard members
Some surviving spouses

Go to Eligibility Rules for detailed information.

You’ll need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) before you can get a VA-backed loan. Veterans, Active Duty, and Reservists/National Guard Members Who Have Served on Active Duty. You can get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) in any of three ways:

1) Apply online.  Go to the eBenefits portal and click on the My eBenefits tab towards the top, on the left side.  It will open a screen with several benefit areas.  On the bottom right of the screen is the Housing tab.  You will need login credentials to request a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).  If you have them, enter your Username and Password, if you need to request login credentials, you can simply click on the “Request/Activate a DoD Self-Service Logon” link which is shown below the area where you logon.

2) Apply through the lender.  In many cases, lenders can obtain a Certificate online in minutes.

3) Apply by mail.  Use VA Form 26-1880 Return it to the address shown on the form.